Sunday, March 1, 2009

And the Results Are In...

Before you watch the videos, please note that the order is screwed up. I know this, but since I don't have the files on this computer, Blogger isn't letting me switch the order. So, read the first part, watch the second video. Then, read the second part and watch the first video. Got it? Good!

Saturday was possibly one of the longest meets I have ever been to, and I've been to a lot of meets.

During the warm-up for the guys' weight throw, a guy broke a crossbar off of the throwing cage, and for safety reasons, we had to wait until they could fix it. So, for an hour and a half, we sat and waited. And waited. And waited some more.

In the meantime, Tom, who had been up all night with a fever and cough, was doing his best to rest and quell his queasiness. When he woke up that morning, the first thing he said to me was "I can't even lift my head off the pillow. How am I going to throw?"

Eventually they fixed the crossbar, and Tom mustered up the strength to do this:



Not only did this throw (coming in at 17.43 meters) place Tom in the lead, it also broke every existing conference record and secured him 7th place nationally. Yep, nationally. Like, all 50 states nationally. How cool is that?

Since he was in the lead by over 2 meters (almost 7 feet!), his coach had him sit out through finals so he could conserve his strength. The poor guy was so sick that he was running to the bathroom in between events and throwing up... :(

But, he somehow managed to do this:




This throw, in shot put, measured at 16.00 meters. Again, this was enough to place him in 1st, break all existing conferences records, and place him in 7th place nationally. Too funny, isn't it?

In weight throw, Tom and his teammates placed 1st, 2nd, and 4th. In shot put, they placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. At the end of the meet, in addition to receiving his medals, Tom was also named Men's Field Athlete of the Meet.

To me, it's unbelievable that despite how sick he was (and he was pretty dang sick, people), he was able to make this his best meet EVER. I guess it really shows you how important mind over matter is.

And it really shows the mettle that this kid's made out of.

I am bursting with pride, and just so happy he's made it to this point. I am extremely lucky (despite my complaints at times!) to be sharing this journey with him...

Oh, and I promise, back to wedding stuff the rest of this week. I have some exciting stuff! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Tom!!!

AuntJ said...

Tom that is really an accomplishment. I hope your feeling better.