Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ummm, No Thanks

So in the course of our planning, we've decided to nix a lot of traditional wedding elements. Some of this was simply because we didn't like them, others was based on money, and yet others were because we didn't feel it fit our needs.

So here's a quick run-down of what we're abstaining from:

A videographer:

This isn't to say that we don't appreciate the medium, but I simply cannot rationalize paying upwards of $2,000 for a tape we'll never watch. If I had all the money in the world, maybe...

The Garter:

We're also nixing the bouquet toss...

Fancy cake servers:

Nixed because we're not having...

...a wedding cake, either:

This is probably one of the most shocking decisions for others to understand. Neither one of us are drawn to a cake...?

a DJ:

We're hooking our iPod directly into the sound system at Maggiano's and hitting play...

Professional hairstylists/makeup artists:

I've never had good luck with the professionals. Because my hair is so thin and fine, traditional hairsprays only weigh it down, they don't really help hold the style. I've had far more success by just doing it myself with a few bobby pins and hot rollers...
I'm sure there's far more I can add to this list like chair covers, an ice luge, matching bridesmaid dresses, save-the-dates, a five-course meal, photobooth, customized postage or a sweets table. It's not that I necessarily find anything wrong with these things -- I just find them too traditional or too expensive for our taste.
Many of these traditional elements are not necessary, but in an effort to make their weddings grander than previous weddings, many brides buy all of this stuff, and pay top dollar for it. We've said since the beginning that this day is supposed to reflect us as a couple, not the current trends of the wedding industry. This isn't a "stand up against the man" point of view-- we're simply trying to reign back in the emotions and meaning of the day. I would be lying if I said Tom and I were not materialistic. I find most people are these days anyway. But in good conscience, I could not find myself debating the merit of an ice luge when I would much rather focus on the fact that I am committing myself to a marriage that morning.
It's definitely easy to get caught up in the materialism of the day (everyone remembers my favor box debacle). It's a constant effort to keep myself in check and remind myself of the purpose of the day.
Who knew planning a wedding was so multi-faceted?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

umm.. I was kinda counting on the bouquet toss.. heh..heh..

Anonymous said...

You rebel! who knew that mom and dad taught us to fight the system! yesh! Anarchy!

just trickin! but we do have a lot of anti-system thoughts. . .