Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Muzak...

I've been DYING to post about our ceremony music choices, but oddly, have refrained for quite a while.

It's of no surprise to any of you that Tom and I are not taking the orthodox music route. Even when we were looking into getting married in a church, the admission of secular music was something I refused to budge on (and similarly, the Catholic church refused to budge, so there went that...).

I'm not a "Bridal March" kind of girl. It's not who I am. Instead, Tom and I have tried to find music that we feel embodies us and our relationship. To me, music is such a personal and emotional thing that I couldn't see choosing from an arbitrary list of standard wedding songs. I knew that when I walked down the aisle, and Tom saw me for the first time (the one thing he refuses to budge on), I wanted music in the background that fit.

So, onward with our unorthodox playlist:

As guests gather, chat, and are seated, it's important to me that we set the mood. Rather than play Canon in D (not knocking, I love me some classical music), I want upbeat, sweet and silly music. A few choices thus far:

  • This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) - Natalie Cole
  • Love Story - (Taylor Swift) - partially an inside joke with a coworker, partially because for no sane reason I want to cry during the last verse, and partially because Tom sings a rousing rendition of this song where he changes the lyrics Weird Al style :)
  • Walking on Sunshine - Katrina & the Waves
  • Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours) - Stevie Wonder

...and the like. I'm just shooting for a really fun, sweet atmosphere.

Onto the processional: I have my heart set on 2 songs for the processional. The first you should recognize from my handy, dandy music player on this blog. 1,2,3,4 by the Plain White T's is not only a fun, cute song that I fell in love with the instant I heard it, but the band itself has some significance as Nic (my Maid of Honor) and I went and saw them in concert almost 2 years ago. They were one of my favorite bands before they got popular! :)

To begin the processional, we're switching the order around a bit. After the mothers walk down the aisle, my nieces will walk down. Normally the flower girls directly precede the bride, but since Tom has been such a huge part of their childhood (Madalyn was 3 weeks old when we began dating, and Tom met my family for the first time at her christening), we felt it was only appropriate to have them walk down first, walk straight down to Tom, and give him a hug before they sit in their respective places. Then, my sisters will follow (and possibly hug Tom as well), to round out the processional.

As I begin my walk, my FAVORITE song ever will play: I'm Yours by Jason Mraz. (You can also hear this on the music player to the right of your screen). I first heard this song around the time that Tom and I were debating moving the wedding up, and the lyrics just spoke to my heart:

I won't hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait I'm sure
There's no need to complicate
Our time is short
This is our fate, I'm yours

Le sigh. I LOVE it. Whenever I hear this song, I practically melt into a puddle.

In the ceremony, I don't believe we'll have any other music. Since the ceremony is short, there's really not much need for it...

So, for the big finish, my maid of honor has something up her sleeve. Because there's no practical way to keep this a surprise from me, I know the basic gist of it. I know it involves another one of my favorite songs, a live band, and is derived from my favorite scene from my favorite movie. I don't know the exact details, but I do know that I am SO SUPER EXCITED for this, and think it will be one of my favorite moments of the day. But since I can't really ruin my own "surprise," I'll recap this after the wedding!

So there you have it. Our completely crazy, non-standard ceremony soundtrack. :)

No comments: