Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lake Katherine: An Introduction

So I realize that many of you out there, even if you've heard of Lake Katherine, have actually never seen it. And while I can't seem to find lots of pictures, I have one that I took this summer, as well as a few I've been able to scrounge up.

The Lake Katherine Nature Preserve and Botanic Gardens is "125 acres of water, wooded trails, gardens and open space," according to its website. I'm not quite sure of the history of the preserve, but it's been around for quite awhile. I remember reading a plaque on one of the buildings stating that former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt visited the preserve as a part of the nature preservation movement of the era.


Well, pictures are worth 1,000 words, right? So here:
This is the view as you walk from the parking lot. The clubhouse is straight ahead. The lake would be on your left from here, and the gardens are up towards the top right of the picture.
This is the view from the south side of the lake, near the parking lot.

This is the brook that leads from the waterfalls to the lake...
And the view of the lake from the clubhouse...
One of the waterfalls...
I took this picture at sunset on the 4th of July...
And this is the east lawn. I'm assuming this is where our ginormous tent will be pitched, but I haven't confirmed that with the rental manager yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice pics... I have to say that it's not easy finding pics of this place. Guess I'll have to see it for myself. :)